Imaginations Cross Cultures is a non-profit organisation to foster greater cross cultural understanding between young people through co-creation.
Our latest winter school, February 2019:
Our objective is to enable young students of architecture with a greater cross-cultural understanding through collaboration across disciplines and national borders.
Activities are focused on making full scale creative responses to how our built environment can best encounter, reflect and nurture a strong local cultural identity and civil society.
Our methodology is based on teamwork and encourage open-ended discussions to spark curiosity and grow ideas which can be harvested and owned by local communities.
We are based in London but operate worldwide with more than 200 students, educators and professional participants so far and many more visitors.
PROGRAM - SUMMER SCHOOLS
Our summer/winter schools are collaborations between schools of architecture, urban planning or landscape. The schools are prepared by Imaginations as two-week workshops with 3-5 universities from various cultures.
Each summer school frame a topic within a social context which is relevant and beneficial for the wider community of the host city.
The schools consist of initial walks and sketch assignments to get to know the place followed by a public symposium with professionals and the making of full scale installations in mixed teams.
“Student summer schools are catalysts for change where thoughts and ideas are shared and shaped by the future generation. At Imaginations we aim to create an informal creative space for cross cultural and interdisciplinary exchange outside academia and practice and offer an opportunity for students to engage with communities and ultimately foster stronger civil societies through architecture"
- Aalborg University, Dept. of Architecture and Design, Aalborg
- Académie Libanaise des Beaux-Arts, Faculty of Architecture, Beirut
- American University Beirut, Faculty of Architecture and Landscape, Beirut
- Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, London
- CKU / DCCD, Danish Centre for Culture and Development
- Cultural Projects, London
- Damascus University, Faculty of Architecture, Damascus
- Danish Architects’ Association, Denmark
- Danish Arts Council, Denmark
- Dankook University, Seoul
- GAIA-Heritage, Beirut
- Galmstrup Ltd., London
- University of Genoa, Genoa
- Hanyang University ERICA
- Hongik University, Seoul
- Henning Larsen Architects, Levant & Copenhagen
- TU Berlin University, Landscape architecture and Open Space Planning, Berlin
- KADK, Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Architecture, Copenhagen
- Lebanese American University, Faculty of Architecture and Landscape, Beirut
- Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts, Istanbul
- Museum Skanderborg, Denmark
- UIA, International Union of Architects
- UIA Seoul 2017
- University of Seoul
- USC 10, Skanderborg
- Yonsei University, Seoul
WHO WE ARE
Imaginations Cross Cultures was initiated in 2008 and registered in 2016 as an independent non-profit organisation in England & Wales, Reg. No.: 10348323. Imaginations Cross Cultures is co-directed by practising architect Anne Marie Galmstrup and cultural strategist Robin Cole-Hamilton.
We are a non-profit organisation relying on wonderful volunteers and collaborating partners. If you would like to learn more about how to become an active volunteer or a partner, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
"The Imaginations summer schools invite architecture students from many different cultures to live, think and create together. In doing so, participants are challenged to step beyond the norms and assumptions of their own cultural context and history, and to re-consider the built environment - and the role of the architect - against very different ideas of civil society and community. The results are enriched perspectives, new sources of inspiration, and lasting friendships between young people who will build tomorrow's world."
- IMAGINATION 1, Architects Cross Cultures. April 2009, ISBN 978-87-993081-0-1
- IMAGINATION 3, Suitable Cultural Institutions. June 2012, ISBN 978-87-993081-1-8
- IMAGINATION 4, Resilient Cities through Culture. December 2017, ISBN 978-1-78808-065-1
Copyright © IMAGINATIONS CROSS CULTURES 2019
Registered in England & Wales Nº 10348323